Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I told her to shut up, but I said it under my breath 'cause I didn't want to start anything...

I guess it's considered timely to look back at what was happening at the beginning of our current little skirmish out in the Middle East. Firstly, I am not going to opine on whether the war in Iraq is good or bad. That's not what this shit is about. Now is the time for reminiscing and pointless nostalgia.

That night in 2003, I can remember driving after work to the house of Hogan, a young whippersnapper that I toiled away in the salt mines with. I had a Nalgene bottle full of Bacardi and Diet Mountain Dew, and that was all that concerned me in the world. I show up at his house, on Evergreen Terrace of all places. If I would have had a hacksaw that street sign would have come home with me.

But back to the lecture at hand. I go inside and Hogan is with his roommate smoking and watching the news. Night vision shots of rubble and the anchorlady trying to explain what a "daisy cutter" is. I got lit and watched that shit for hours, no clue what would go down over the next few years. I need to be more aware of my surroundings I think.

No comments: